Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Homemade Pina Colada


I was certainly frustrated when in search of a healthy pina colada recipe online recently and I could not get anything.  All I could find were blogs where people wanted exactly what I was looking for so I knew I had to come up with something myself.  The tricky part was getting it smooth, sweet, but still as healthy as possible.  The original mix you buy at the store is really creamy and delicious until you look at the ingredients, and you know you might as well eat a sundae, cake and cookies for dessert all at once! So we went shopping for healthy treats to experiment at home.

We got some organic coconut sugar for sweetness, organic unsweetened coconut flakes, creamy organic coconut milk, organic pineapple juice, and fresh pineapple.  We cut up and froze the pineapple chunks overnight. In a blender we squeezed a whole small 11 oz carton as shown in the picture, of the coconut milk.  We added a cup of pineapple juice, 3/4 of a cup of goslings black rum, a few sprinkles of the shredded coconut, 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar, and about a cup of frozen pineapple chunks.  You can taste and add as you go depending on your taste and blender.

Once I poured this in my glass, I drizzle a bit of rum on the top.  Well let me tell you, this was the best pina colada we have had yet without the guilt! You can have it without the liquor if you want just a nice smoothie!  Enjoy and happy summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment