Saturday, September 22, 2018

Delicious low carb buns




I will stop saying how this bread and that bread i made is my favorite because I feel as though as soon as I make a new bread recipe, I love it more than the last.  This one is really delicious and the texture is great.  It does not fall apart, it toasts great, it's awesome cold too, it makes great sandwiches and tastes like whole wheat bread to me.  This same recipe I used to make a pizza a few weeks ago and it was yummy as well.

If you ever made low carb bread before, you notice that they fall apart quiet easily, the psyllium husk really helps bind the ingredients together.  It acts like gluten, like a glue.  You can make these any shape you want.  I made bagels, buns, and pizza so far.  They were all delicious, so here is the recipe!





In psyllium husk recipes, you always want to mix the dry and wet ingredients separately, and then combine, also make sure you use that hot water to activate the psyllium husk and make it bulk up, this is what you want.  I also added caraway seeds to this which gives it the rye flavor we love, but you can either sub for your favorite seeds or just leave it plain.

Preheat the oven to 350 FIRST!

Boil enough water to give you 4 tablespoons.

In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients, 3/4 cup (packed tight in a measuring cup) of finely ground almond flour, 2 tablespoons of psyllium husk, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of himalayan salt, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder (optional), 1/2 teaspoon of caraway seeds (optional) set aside.

In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients, 1 egg, 2 egg whites, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (this helps it rise) lemon juice, or white vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of melted refined coconut oil (not the extra virgin or you will have a heavy coconut taste), butter, lard, or ghee

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix all together.  Slowly pour in the boiling water and continue mixing.  The dough will expand and become really thick as it absorbs the water.  You will want to then separate the dough into 5, and form 5 balls with your hands.  You will notice how sticky the dough is.

Spread the balls on a parchment paper lined sheet pan, and pop in the over for 40 minutes.  I have cooked them longer to get them overdone and they were good too, but I like them a bit soft inside and a little crisp on the outside so the 40 minute mark in my oven is perfect for my taste.  Also I kept my buns in the fridge for 5 days and they are fine, you can also freeze them and pull them out as needed.  I have doubled the recipe so I can have them anytime I want some.  I will post the pizza recipe in a separate post but just so you know it is the same ingredients.  Enjoy this low carb delicious healthy bread!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment